Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Piano Shmiano!

I feel the need to express my love and gratitude for my Heavenly Father.  I have a testimony that he knows me personally, much better than I know myself.  As many of you may know, growing up and well into adulthood I had a great fear of performing musically in front of anyone, even just one person.  I swear I sounded as good as Whitney Houston in the shower, but my throat would tighten, knees shake, and palms would sweat as soon as I had to sing in front of anyone.  I remember when I was in Chorale in college and our director had us all sing for him just so he would know our skill level, I couldn't even sing a low G (not very high).  He said, "Jeannette...it's just me".  I had known him for several years, but that didn't seem to help.

During that semester I was asked to sing in a quartette with some other girls during the Christmas concert. Although it wasn't nearly as bad as a solo I was still a little nervous.  I asked our assistant conductor if he had any tips and he said, "Whenever I perform, I always try to think of it as though I'm not there to perform, but I'm just there to share something with everyone".  Remembering that has helped me tremendously.  However, it was not until I was asked to be the choir director at church that a light bulb came on!  I DON'T HAVE TO BE PERFECT!!  All that is required of me is to do my best, and my Savior will take care of the rest.  Doooiiiiiiii.  This suddenly took all the pressure off me and put it on him!  If I messed up, it was ok because for some strange reason that's how he wanted it to happen and it was meant to be a learning experience for me.  And if I didn't mess up, it's because he was helping me, and it was his plan.  After about 3 years of directing the choir, I was sad to give up that calling and had grown to love it.

Fast forward a few months and here I am in a new ward (group of people that meet at church) and as I'm walking down the hallway the Bishop stops me and says, "Jeannette, how comfortable are you playing the piano?"  Me: "Uhhhhh...not,  at,  aaallll...???  Why do you ask?"

"Oh, we have some callings that need to be filled"  I went on to explain that I do feel comfortable as long as I'm given enough time to practice, at least a week for 1 hymn.  A couple weeks later, what do you know, I'm asked to play the piano in Relief Society.  I decided I would practice the two hymns I need to play at least 1 hour each night, or until I can play it through comfortably.  This last Sunday was my first time and it was by no means perfection but we were able to sing along.  This weeks' songs are more of a challenge for me but I've been able to get them down pretty well.  I just finished my hour of practice and decided to play some other songs that I like and really enjoyed playing the piano!  I was able to purchase a digital piano due to an inheritance from Noah's Grandma and I hate to admit it usually just collects dust.

Which (9 hours later) brings me to the reason I am so grateful to my Heavenly Father.  He knows that it's going to take me wanting to do my best while performing in front of others to make myself sit down for an hour each day and practice.  I have truly enjoyed feeling the spirit if the hymns and already notice a great improvement in my ability only a week later.  This strengthens my testimony that the Lord fills in for what we lack when he asks us to do something.  Isn't it just grand?? ;)

Anywho...I know I can't get away with writing a post without sharing some pictures!  Eyyyyooooo.  So here you are...

 Jonah likes to steal the camera and take pictures without my knowledge, this is one he got of Ruby that I thought was cute.
 Ruby's birthday was on a Thursday and Noah was off for the evening so we got her a donut and sang her happy birthday


 We had a party on saturday for family (Noah had to work) this is Ruby eating the eye ball of her Elmo cake.
Here's a quzi-picture of the cake :)

Thanks to everyone who came to the party and all the fun presents!

2 comments:

Karina said...

Love seeing pics of your cute kids! Also fun to hear you have been choir director. It was one of my favorite callings also. xoxo

D said...

You sure have a cute family Jeannette. We're very proud of and love you guys. Also, Ruby is the best because she waited to be born so we could share the best day of the year together as birthday buds.